TOPIC: GOD’S CHILDREN OBEY HIM
TEXT: John 8:37-47(NKJV)
37. ” I know that you are Abraham’s descendants, but you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.
38. “I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”
39. They answered and said to Him, “Abraham is our father.” Jesus said to them, “If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham.
40. “But now you seek to kill Me, a Man who has told you the truth which I heard from God. Abraham did not do this.
41. “You do the deeds of your father.” Then they said to Him, “We were not born of fornication; we have one Father — God.”
42. Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.
43. “Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.
44. “You are of [your] father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and [does not] stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own [resources,] for he is a liar and the father of it.
45. “But because I tell the truth, you do not believe Me.
46. “Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me?
47. “He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God.”
STUDY: The Jews continued to claim access to God on the basis of being Abraham’s Children. Jesus acknowledged that fact, but pointed out that anybody who has no room for God’s Word cannot be His Child. Jesus showed that Abraham had a relationship with God and lived according to His precepts. Hence, anybody who claims access to God, must live by His Word. The only way to show that you belong to God is by loving Him and His people. It is also by hearing Him and doing His Word.
God is a righteous God, and His people must be righteous in their acts. Every evil such as murder, lying, etc. is from the devil. Therefore, the presence or absence of these in our lives, points to whose child we are. It is very easy still to know who a child of God is. Same for a child of the devil! Just check people’s acts! Jesus said. by their fruits you shall know them (Matt. 7:20). In our society today, it is very easy for individuals to claim that they know God.
Knowledge of God should bring sanity to the society. However, in our own case today, the more people claim to know God, the more the society is filled with evil. What an anomaly!
Prayer: Grant me the grace, dear Lord, to hear Your Word and live by it in Jesus ‘Name. Amen.
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Anglican Daily Fountain 6th September 2021 – God’s Children Obey Him. God bless you!