TOPIC: TRUE LIBERTY
TEXT: John 8:31-36(NKJV)
31. Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.
32. “And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
33. They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How [can] you say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34. Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.
35. “And a slave does not abide in the house forever, [but] a son abides forever.
36. “Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
STUDY: In verse 30, we read that many believed in Jesus Christ. As He continued His admonition, He encouraged those who believed to hold on to His teachings in order for them to be truly reckoned with as His disciples. These teachings He described as the “truth” and liberation agents. The people did not understand His advice since they believed that they had never been in bondage, being the they Children of Abraham.
Their reaction brought out the explanation from Jesus about the mystery of sin and bondage. Man succumbed to the devil and his trap in the Garden of Eden and became a slave to sin. St. Paul described it this way: “For the good that I would, I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. (Rom. 7:19). Sin enslaves whomsoever it grips and robs such one the privilege of son-ship in God.
However, belief in Jesus Christ and adherence to His teachings is the only sure way of deliverance from the bondage of sin. Being a member of a Christian denomination does not confer on someone the privilege of son-ship in God, but receiving Jesus Christ as Lord and continuing in His teachings, do. Are you a Son or a Slave?
Prayer: May I abide in Your word, O Lord, and be free from the bondage of Sin in Jesus’ Name. Amen.
Thank you for your time in reading Today’s Anglican Daily Fountain 4th September 2021 – True Liberty. God bless you!