ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 24, 2022 (A VOCAL FAITH AND AN EXPENSIVE LOVE)
TOPIC : ”A VOCAL FAITH AND AN EXPENSIVE LOVE”
Read: Philemon 1:1-7(NKJV)
1. Again the word of the LORD of hosts came, saying,
2. “Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘I am zealous for Zion with great zeal; With great fervor I am zealous for her.’
3. “Thus says the LORD: ‘I will return to Zion, And dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. Jerusalem shall be called the City of Truth, The Mountain of the LORD of hosts, The Holy Mountain.’
4. “Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘Old men and old women shall again sit In the streets of Jerusalem, Each one with his staff in his hand Because of great age.
5. The streets of the city Shall be full of boys and girls Playing in its streets.’
6. “Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘If it is marvelous in the eyes of the remnant of this people in these days, Will it also be marvelous in My eyes?’ Says the LORD of hosts.
7. “Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘Behold, I will save My people from the land of the east And from the land of the west;
8. I will bring them [back,] And they shall dwell in the midst of Jerusalem. They shall be My people And I will be their God, In truth and righteousness.’
9. ” Thus says the LORD of hosts: ‘Let your hands be strong, You who have been hearing in these days These words by the mouth of the prophets, Who [spoke] in the day the foundation was laid For the house of the LORD of hosts, That the temple might be built.
10. For before these days [There were] no wages for man nor any hire for beast; [There was] no peace from the enemy for whoever went out or came in; For I set all men, everyone, against his neighbor.
11. ‘But now I [will] not [treat] the remnant of this people as in the former days,’ says the LORD of hosts.
12. ‘For the seed [shall be] prosperous, The vine shall give its fruit, The ground shall give her increase, And the heavens shall give their dew — I will cause the remnant of this people To possess all these.
13. And it shall come to pass [That] just as you were a curse among the nations, O house of Judah and house of Israel, So I will save you, and you shall be a blessing. Do not fear, Let your hands be strong.’
STUDY: Apostle Paul in writing this personal letter, defined his audience to include Philemon (the principal recipient), Apphia, Archippus, and some other members of their home church. One major thing he said about them, which was one of the reasons for his continuous gratitude to God, was the constant echoes of their faith and the impact of their love.
These graces in their lives were visible and audible. It was not a quiet and docile virtue, which were unnoticeable and consequently meaningless.
They exhibited a vocal faith and a contagious love, which yielded positive results. The question for us this moment is, “How loud is our faith?”
What about the love of God in us? Is it a “hanging love” or an expressive one? Who are the beneficiaries? What impact is it making and what testimony is it leaving?
PRAYER: Lord, may the expression of my faith in and love for You be reflected in my world and may it come back to You in thanksgiving.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.
Leave a Reply