ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR JULY 4, 2022 (BELIEVE, DO NOT DOUBT)
TOPIC : ”BELIEVE, DO NOT DOUBT”
Read: John 20: 24-29(NKJV)
24. Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.
25. The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
26. And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”
27. Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand [here,] and put [it] into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”
28. And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
29. Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed [are] those who have not seen and [yet] have believed.”
STUDY: The number of years spent in church service is not a factor for genuine relationship or sound knowledge of the King of kings. It is possible to be a Church worker or pastor for years, without a living relationship with or knowledge of Jesus as the Saviour of the world. Apostle Thomas had lived and worked with Christ for at least three years. He had listened to faith-based sermons and witnessed many miracles during the earthly ministry of Jesus. Yet he found the resurrection stories too ridiculous to believe. He asserted, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe” (v.25). Eight days after, Jesus appeared again and he confessed Him as “My Lord and my God” (v.28). Then Jesus rebuked him, “Do not be unbelieving but believing” (v.27).
Brethren, as we remember Apostle Thomas today, we must first of all commend his action which authenticates one of the post-resurrection appearances of Jesus Christ. However, let us beware and not fall into the same pit of unbelief like him. Familiarity, they say, breeds contempt. Many are born into Christian families, bear Christian names, are baptised and confirmed, yet they do not have any testimony of genuine salvation. They do not know the Lord as Saviour or have a relationship with Him. Check yourself; are you in the same category as Thomas? Confess your sins today, repent of them, and accept Jesus as your Lord and Saviour like Apostle Thomas (v.28 cf. John 1:12-13; Rev. 20:15). Give no place to doubt, Jesus will turn your life around.
PRAYER: Lord, I believe, help my unbelief.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.