ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR DECEMBER 4, 2022 (ENCOURAGEMENT THROUGH THE SCRIPTURES)
TOPIC : ENCOURAGEMENT THROUGH THE SCRIPTURES
Read: Romans 15:4-13(NKJV)
4. For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
5. Now may the God of patience and comfort grant you to be like-minded toward one another, according to Christ Jesus,
6. that you may with one mind [and] one mouth glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
7. Therefore receive one another, just as Christ also received us, to the glory of God.
8. Now I say that Jesus Christ has become a servant to the circumcision for the truth of God, to confirm the promises [made] to the fathers,
9. and that the Gentiles might glorify God for [His] mercy, as it is written: “For this reason I will confess to You among the Gentiles, And sing to Your name.
10. And again he says: “Rejoice, O Gentiles, with His people!”
11. And again: “Praise the LORD, all you Gentiles! Laud Him, all you peoples!”
12. And again, Isaiah says: “There shall be a root of Jesse; And He who shall rise to reign over the Gentiles, In Him the Gentiles shall hope.”
13. Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
STUDY: The growth, strength and fruitfulness of any child of God are largely determined by his or her relationship with the Holy Scriptures – the word of God. In today’s passage, especially verse 4, it is said, “For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” Paul the apostle says, “All Scripture is God-breathed, and it is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
Real life in the power of God is determined by how much interaction you have with the Scriptures.
Does the word of God occupy a significant place in your life’s schedules? Sin and Satan can only be defeated by the power of the word of God in your heart (see Jesus’ example in Matthew 4:1-11; and also Psalm 119:11).
If the blessings of God will be yours, you must commit to total obedience to all the word the Lord brings to you, and not just to some of it.
God’s word is not a buffet where you get to select what to obey and ignore the ones you don’t want to obey. Total obedience is key.
PRAYER: Lord, thank you for your word. Give me the courage to live in total obedience to every word you speak to me. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.