ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR DECEMBER 23, 2022 (HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO JESUS?)
TOPIC : HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO JESUS?
Read: Matthew 2:1-15(NKJV)
1. Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem,
2. saying, “Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the East and have come to worship Him.”
3. When Herod the king heard [this,] he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he inquired of them where the Christ was to be born.
5. So they said to him, “In Bethlehem of Judea, for thus it is written by the prophet:
6. ‘But you, Bethlehem, [in] the land of Judah, Are not the least among the rulers of Judah; For out of you shall come a Ruler Who will shepherd My people Israel.’ ”
7. Then Herod, when he had secretly called the wise men, determined from them what time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem and said, “Go and search carefully for the young Child, and when you have found [Him,] bring back word to me, that I may come and worship Him also.”
9. When they heard the king, they departed; and behold, the star which they had seen in the East went before them, till it came and stood over where the young Child was.
10. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy.
11. And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
12. Then, being divinely warned in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed for their own country another way.
13. Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, “Arise, take the young Child and His mother, flee to Egypt, and stay there until I bring you word; for Herod will seek the young Child to destroy Him.”
14. When he arose, he took the young Child and His mother by night and departed for Egypt,
15. and was there until the death of Herod, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying, “Out of Egypt I called My Son.”
STUDY: When Jesus was born, people responded to His birth differently. King Herod responded with anger and rejection, considering Jesus the Messiah, a rival that should not be tolerated. The chief priests and teachers of the law had it all in their heads.
They answered Herod as regards where Jesus was born but that was all for them. They showed no concern as it meant nothing to them.
The Magi from the East journeyed by faith – risking their lives to find out about Jesus. When they saw Him, they accepted Him and demonstrated that by sacrificial worship. They never remained the same.
Their way of life (path) was changed. How do you respond to Jesus Christ today? Is it with rejection, head without heart knowledge, apathy or acceptance? How do you respond to His loving kindness that surrounds you? If you respond to Jesus by accepting and worshipping Him as Lord and Saviour, your life will never remain the same. He will set you on a journey of faith which will inevitably involve risk and vulnerability but which will lead you to spending eternity with Him.
PRAYER: Lord, help me cling to You, inspiring me by Your Spirit to journey with You all through my life, amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.