ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 30, 2022 (WISDOM ENRICHES MORE THAN GOLD)
TOPIC : ”WISDOM ENRICHES MORE THAN GOLD”
Read: Proverbs 8:1-21(NKJV)
1. Does not wisdom cry out, And understanding lift up her voice?
2. She takes her stand on the top of the high hill, Beside the way, where the paths meet.
3. She cries out by the gates, at the entry of the city, At the entrance of the doors:
4. “To you, O men, I call, And my voice [is] to the sons of men.
5. O you simple ones, understand prudence, And you fools, be of an understanding heart.
6. Listen, for I will speak of excellent things, And from the opening of my lips [will come] right things;
7. For my mouth will speak truth; Wickedness [is] an abomination to my lips.
8. All the words of my mouth [are] with righteousness; Nothing crooked or perverse [is] in them.
9. They [are] all plain to him who understands, And right to those who find knowledge.
10. Receive my instruction, and not silver, And knowledge rather than choice gold;
11. For wisdom [is] better than rubies, And all the things one may desire cannot be compared with her.
12. ” I, wisdom, dwell with prudence, And find out knowledge [and] discretion.
13. The fear of the LORD [is] to hate evil; Pride and arrogance and the evil way And the perverse mouth I hate.
14. Counsel [is] mine, and sound wisdom; I [am] understanding, I have strength.
15. By me kings reign, And rulers decree justice.
16. By me princes rule, and nobles, All the judges of the earth.
17. I love those who love me, And those who seek me diligently will find me.
18. Riches and honor [are] with me, Enduring riches and righteousness.
19. My fruit [is] better than gold, yes, than fine gold, And my revenue than choice silver.
20. I traverse the way of righteousness, In the midst of the paths of justice,
21. That I may cause those who love me to inherit wealth, That I may fill their treasuries.
STUDY: In today’s reading, Solomon continues to explain more the relevance of wisdom. In this passage, wisdom is personified as a feminine gender in contrast with the adulterous woman in Chapter 7. The adulterous woman could only be found along the street corner which eventually leads to hell (7:12,27) while wisdom reveals herself on the top of the high hill and opens gates and public places to bless the simple ones who befriend her (8:1-5).
The excellent gift of wisdom in this passage is riches that endure (v.18). There is no one who embraces wisdom that would not be enriched with the fear of God, prudence, discretion, justice and blessings (vv.13-16). Wisdom also honours her lovers and blesses them with riches (vv. 17-18). Beloved, this is a call to embrace wisdom for its fruit is better than gold and its revenue than choice silver (v.19).
We should learn from Solomon who did not pray for riches, instead requested for wisdom and understanding (1 Kings 3:5-12) but when blessed with wisdom and understanding, he gained the riches. We are also warned never to seek for wisdom because of its material gains; the one who seeks wisdom for financial gain has missed the point. Let us learn from the fate of Simon who desired to buy the gift of God for a price and for financial gain (Acts 8:18-21)
PRAYER: O Lord, help me to rely on your wisdom, so that my life will be enriched with honour and righteousness in Jesus’ Name. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.