ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR AUGUST 15, 2022 (THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION)
TOPIC : ”THE MINISTRY OF RECONCILIATION”
Read: 2 Corinthians 5:17-21(NKJV)
17. Therefore, if anyone [is] in Christ, [he is] a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
18. Now all things [are] of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
19. that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.
20. Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore [you] on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
21. For He made Him who knew no sin [to be] sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
STUDY: Reconciliation refers to the means by which sinners are restored into a state of favour and fellowship with God. It is the means by which enmity and alienation towards God are brought to an end. This is made possible through Christ’s atoning death which made it possible for sinners to return to God and escape the damnation and judgment awaiting the rebellious.
Whenever an individual repents of his sin and exercises faith in the atoning work of Jesus Christ, the barrier which stands between him and God is removed and he is reconciled to God. Having broken down the middle wall of separation and made us one with God, the duty of calling people to enjoy the same privilege of being reconciled to God has been committed to the hands of the church as Christ’s ambassadors.
As a Christian, you should be concerned about the perishing souls and reach out to save them from the coming wrath of God. Salvation of souls and redemption of mankind matters most to God and has sacrificed his best – His only son, Jesus Christ – to make this possible. You must reach out to others and let God appeal to them through you. The business of winning souls for God must be your major preoccupation. You must remember the word of the scripture which says “… and he who wins a soul is wise.”
PRAYER: O Lord, strengthen me to reach out to the lost and be an instrument of reconciliation so that others may come to know your love and enjoy your favour. Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.