ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL FOR 1, SEPTEMBER 2022 (WHOSE SERVANT ARE YOU?)
TOPIC ” ”WHOSE SERVANT ARE YOU?”
Read: Romans 6:15 – 23(NKJV)
15. What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
16. Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin [leading] to death, or of obedience [leading] to righteousness?
17. But God be thanked that [though] you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.
18. And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
19. I speak in human [terms] because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members [as] slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness [leading] to [more] lawlessness, so now present your members [as] slaves [of] righteousness for holiness.
20. For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things [is] death.
22. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.
23. For the wages of sin [is] death, but the gift of God [is] eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
STUDY: In a Christian counselling session, I encountered a brother who had been held bound by pornography and lust – he looked helpless. ‘Why do you do these things’, I asked? ‘Daddy, I am always helpless whenever this influence comes upon me’, he said. This is the situation of so many people, and regrettably some of them in their helplessness, hide under ‘grace’ to continue in their evil ways. Grace is a package. Inside it is God’s forgiveness that brings a man to salvation, as well as the ability to live above sin and the world. St. Paul saw this grace as the instrument that brings men to the servitude of Christ who loves them to the point of dying for them on the cross.
The influence of true grace makes a man a servant of Christ, expressed in righteousness. Anything contrary to this, is not the grace of God in Christ and definitely leads to death. What are you a servant to? Is it sin or righteousness? What habits or addictions are you covering up under the guise of living in grace? Remember that children of God who are beneficiaries of the grace in Christ Jesus should have their fruit unto holiness, which ends in everlasting life with Him.
PRAYER: Dear Lord, may I not take your grace for granted, Amen.
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.