ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DEVOTIONAL 1ST JUNE 2022 (INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY)
TOPIC: Independence Anniversary”
Read: Exodus 12:37-51(NKJV)
37. Then the children of Israel journeyed from Rameses to Succoth, about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides children.
38. A mixed multitude went up with them also, and flocks and herds — a great deal of livestock.
39. And they baked unleavened cakes of the dough which they had brought out of Egypt; for it was not leavened, because they were driven out of Egypt and could not wait, nor had they prepared provisions for themselves.
40. Now the sojourn of the children of Israel who lived in Egypt [was] four hundred and thirty years.
41. And it came to pass at the end of the four hundred and thirty years — on that very same day — it came to pass that all the armies of the LORD went out from the land of Egypt.
42. It [is] a night of solemn observance to the LORD for bringing them out of the land of Egypt. This [is] that night of the LORD, a solemn observance for all the children of Israel throughout their generations.
43. And the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, “This [is] the ordinance of the Passover: No foreigner shall eat it.
44. “But every man’s servant who is bought for money, when you have circumcised him, then he may eat it.
45. “A sojourner and a hired servant shall not eat it.
46. “In one house it shall be eaten; you shall not carry any of the flesh outside the house, nor shall you break one of its bones.
47. “All the congregation of Israel shall keep it.
48. “And when a stranger dwells with you [and wants] to keep the Passover to the LORD, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as a native of the land. For no uncircumcised person shall eat it.
49. “One law shall be for the native-born and for the stranger who dwells among you.”
50. Thus all the children of Israel did; as the LORD commanded Moses and Aaron, so they did.
51. And it came to pass, on that very same day, that the LORD brought the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt according to their armies.
STUDY: After about 400 years of slavery in Egypt, Israel by the special grace of God, regained here freedom to become an independent nation. It was so unique that some translations of the Bible rendered verse 42 thus, “because the Lord kept vigil that night to bring them (Israel) out of Egypt, on this night all the Israelites are to keep vigil to honour the Lord for the generations to come.” It was a night to be commemorated unto the Lord for bringing them out from the land of Egypt.
Throughout the generations of Israel, this event was to be commemorated as a day of solemn remembrance. Nigeria celebrates her independence from colonial rule every 1st October; it’s always a day of public holiday for the citizens. There were however regulations governing the celebration of the Passover feast. No foreigner was to partake of it; it was only for the circumcised Israelites. Spiritually, man became a slave to the devil by sinning against God, and so lost his freedom (Jn. 8:34). Thanks be to God who made provision for our freedom from the bondage of sin through his son, Jesus Christ.
To partake of this freedom, there must be circumcision, not of the flesh, but of the Spirit (Rom. 2:29). This comes free of charge by accepting Jesus Christ as our personal Lord and Saviour.
PRAYER: Thank God for freedom in Christ Jesus and invite Him into your heart as your Lord and personal
The Anglican Communion is the fourth-largest Christian denomination. Founded in 1867 in London, England, the communion currently has 85 million members within the Church of England and other national and regional churches in full communion.