Anglican Daily Fountain 24 February 2023 (Devotional Today)
Welcome to Today’s Daily Fountain Devotional of the Anglican Church of Nigeria. Daily Fountain is a daily reading devotional for all Anglicans and Non-Anglicans to read, study, share and discuss the Word of God on a daily basis.
ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN TOPIC: WHY MATTHIAS, WHY YOU?
TEXT: Acts 1:15-26(NKJV)
15. And in those days Peter stood up in the midst of the disciples (altogether the number of names was about a hundred and twenty), and said,
16. “Men [and] brethren, this Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke before by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus;
17. “for he was numbered with us and obtained a part in this ministry.”
18. (Now this man purchased a field with the wages of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his entrails gushed out.
19. And it became known to all those dwelling in Jerusalem; so that field is called in their own language, Akel Dama, that is, Field of Blood.)
20. “For it is written in the book of Psalms: ‘Let his dwelling place be desolate, And let no one live in it’; and, ‘Let another take his office.’
21. “Therefore, of these men who have accompanied us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
22. “beginning from the baptism of John to that day when He was taken up from us, one of these must become a witness with us of His resurrection.”
23. And they proposed two: Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24. And they prayed and said, “You, O Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which of these two You have chosen
25. “to take part in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.”
26. And they cast their lots, and the lot fell on Matthias. And he was numbered with the eleven apostles.
- UCB Word For Today 21 February 2023 || Let God Lead You
- The Upper Room Devotional for 21st February 2023
- February 21, 2023 Your Daily Bible Verse for Tuesday
Today is St. Matthias’ Day and the day of the inauguration of the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) in 1979. A vacuum was created by the absence of Judas Iscariot which had to be filled.
Judas chose to fulfil a prophecy predicted a long time before he became an Apostle, by being greedy (Ps. 41:9). His greed cost him his life and his place among the chosen, spiritually and physically. Judas died not just shamefully, but even before the Lord Jesus he betrayed. Matthias was duly nominated together with Justus (Joseph) by the people. God approved Matthias to replace Judas. Why Matthias and not Justus? Only God knows.
Why Matthias, why mc, why you? Why is it you that was chosen and not the others to occupy that position, or to do that job in the office, church, family, government, market place, etc.? Do you feel you are more qualified than them? No, it is just a privilege which the Lord never expects you to abuse. God looks up to you, not to betray Jesus like Judas, but to glorify Him in all things. Be faithful in the little assignment given to you. Do not trade His glory for fame.
PRAYER: Dear Father, help me to fulfil your heart’s desire concerning me in Jesus’ name. Amen