ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR SEPTEMBER 17, 2022 (A GENUINE CHILD OF GOD)
TOPIC: A GENUINE CHILD OF GOD
TEXT: Romans 12:9-21(NKJV)
9. [Let] love [be] without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good.
10. [Be] kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another;
11. not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord;
12. rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer;
13. distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
14. Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse.
15. Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
16. Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
17. Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men.
18. If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men.
19. Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but [rather] give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance [is] Mine, I will repay,” says the Lord.
20. Therefore “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; If he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”
21. Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
child of God is that person who has received the salvation of Christ and has turned a new life in Him. In other words, he or she has started living and acting like Christ. From the passage today, many things have been revealed to us which when we live by them, we will be known as genuine children of God. These virtues include:
1. Be sincere; hate evil and hold on to good deeds. 2. Treat your brethren with equal love; be diligent in every assignment given to you. 3. You must rejoice in Him always, in trial, persecution, and be strong in prayer. 4. Help your brethren; love those who persecute you, don’t curse them. Be happy with your brother’s progress, don’t envy him.
The above virtues are mostly neglected among believers. Emphasis has been on manifestations of the gifts of the Holy Spirit as against the fruits of the Spirit. The Christian Faith is a lifestyle and once one’s life is contradictory to the virtues of the Faith, then one is not of God. Genuine children of God will always shine as light in this dark world and men shall see their lives and glorify God, our Father. Are you genuine? Does your lifestyle reflect Christ?
PRAYER: God help me to love as you love and to be like Jesus. Amen.