ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR NOVEMBER 12, 2022 (THE LORD’S SPEEDING WORD)
TOPIC: THE LORD’S SPEEDING WORD
TEXT: 2 Thessalonians 3:1-5(NKJV)
1. Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run [swiftly] and be glorified, just as [it is] with you,
2. and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.
3. But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard [you] from the evil one.
4. And we have confidence in the Lord concerning you, both that you do and will do the things we command you.
5. Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.
Paul’s words tear down any veneer of our culture’s hospitality towards God’s word. The fact of the matter is that God’s truths are antithetical at a fundamental level to every strain of popular belief.
This helps us to understand why prayer is the most practical course of action in a faithless world – if the world’s biggest problem is their rebellion against God, then it makes all the sense to turn to God for a solution.
The primacy of prayer should have nestled quite easily into your minds, but the truth is that prayer is rarely a priority. It is incredible that Paul, in highlighting the urgency of the end times and the warlike nature of a Christian’s life, establishes prayer as the primary means of warfare for the Christian.
It is prayer that God’s Word would speed ahead and be honoured the way we have known it to have transformed our lives.
Paul concludes this exhortation with a prayer of His own that the Lord would direct their hearts to the love of God and to the steadfastness of Christ – and it is amazing that He does so (2 Thess. 3:5).
PRAYER: O Lord, direct our hearts to the love of the gospel of Christ, Amen