ANGLICAN DAILY FOUNTAIN DAILY DEVOTIONAL FOR FEBRUARY 22, 2023 (FAST UNTO GOD ALONE)
TOPIC: FAST UNTO GOD ALONE
TEXT: Matthew 6:16-21(NKJV)
16. ” Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
17. “But you, when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face,
18. “so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who [is] in the secret [place;] and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
19. ” Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;
20. “but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
21. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- Dr. Charles Stanley 20 February 2023 In Touch Daily Devotional
- UCB Word For Today 20 February 2023 || Broken Arrows
- Rick Warren Daily Hope for 20th February 2023
Today is Ash Wednesday and it is the beginning of the 40-day Lenten Season. Lent is a period we humble ourselves and seek the face of God. It is a period of calmness, self-denial, sober reflection and solemn assembly. Our text today discusses on fasting and prayer. It advises that fasting and prayer should not to be done in hypocrisy, “To be seen of men” (v.16).
Such people already have their reward. Fasting and prayer are to be in secret, between one and God. The text also warns Christians not to lay treasures on earth but to lay them in Heaven. This is because your heart stays with your treasure. This Lent, we are expected to pray and fast, but we must not do it to be noticed by people. Fasting is a heart issue. If we must fast, we must do it dedicatedly.
Isaiah 58:5-11 identify the kind of fasting that pleases God: the requirements as we fast and the benefits that accrue from fasting. Let there be a remarkable difference in this Lenten Season fasting. When you fast dress up neatly and have a cheerful look so that only God will know what you are doing. He will reward you.
PRAYER: Lord Jesus, please teach me the appropriate way to fast and pray, Amen.
Leave a Reply