TOPIC: GODLY WISDOM: DIVINE PROTECTION
TEXT: Proverbs 3:1-26(NKJV)
1. My son, do not forget my law, But let your heart keep my commands;
2. For length of days and long life And peace they will add to you.
3. Let not mercy and truth forsake you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart,
4. [And] so find favor and high esteem In the sight of God and man.
5. Trust in the LORD with all your heart, And lean not on your own understanding;
6. In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He shall direct your paths.
7. Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the LORD and depart from evil.
8. It will be health to your flesh, And strength to your bones.
9. Honor the LORD with your possessions, And with the first fruits of all your increase;
10. So your barns will be filled with plenty, And your vats will overflow with new wine.
11. My son, do not despise the chastening of the LORD, Nor detest His correction;
12. For whom the LORD loves He corrects, Just as a father the son [in whom] he delights.
13. Happy [is] the man [who] finds wisdom, And the man [who] gains understanding;
14. For her proceeds [are] better than the profits of silver, And her gain than fine gold.
15. She [is] more precious than rubies, And all the things you may desire cannot compare with her.
16. Length of days [is] in her right hand, In her left hand riches and honor.
17. Her ways [are] ways of pleasantness, And all her paths [are] peace.
18. She [is] a tree of life to those who take hold of her, And happy [are all] who retain her.
19. The LORD by wisdom founded the earth; By understanding He established the heavens;
20. By His knowledge the depths were broken up, And clouds drop down the dew.
21. My son, let them not depart from your eyes — Keep sound wisdom and discretion;
22. So they will be life to your soul And grace to your neck.
23. Then you will walk safely in your way, And your foot will not stumble.
24. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; Yes, you will lie down and your sleep will be sweet.
25. Do not be afraid of sudden terror, Nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes;
26. For the LORD will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught.
Solomon continued in his proverbial teachings by emphasising on the benefits of wisdom. Several benefits of wisdom are explained in this chapter: (1) Wisdom makes one to obey God and attracts longevity and peace of mind (vv. 1-2). (2) Wisdom teaches one to be girded with mercy and truth and in return gives favour and high esteem before God and man (vv. 3-4).
(3) Wisdom also teaches one to trust in God and fear Him and by so doing, one will be properly guided by God and have rest of mind (vv. 5-8). Check some other benefits of Godly wisdom in verses 9&10. Above all these benefits is protection (vv. 24-26).The expectation of every parent is that their children will be wise. So, God expects us to be well-grounded in wisdom through His words (vv. 1, 21).
Christians should know that it is by wisdom God founded the earth and established the heavens by understanding (v.19). We should also know that wisdom teaches us to accept God’s chastisement as a way of reconciliation to Him. This is clearly expressed in the collect for this day (Trinity XI) that says …help us to proclaim the good news of your love that all who hear it may be reconciled to You….
So, by wisdom, God chastises us so that we would not fall into the hands of the wicked (v.26)
PRAYER: O Lord, let your wisdom continually be my guide, that I may enjoy your divine protection always in the name of Jesus. Amen